Monday, 31 August 2015

A sad tale to tell

Well it is Spring tomorrow so the sun will shine, the birds will sing and I will hopefully get back into it after a week off sick... Definitely suffering withdrawals from my database and research but tonight sat down to do some Obituaries and came across a sad story about a young lad who died in horrible circumstances in Maryborough. Obituaries are so sad but you learn so much about people and their lives that its such a shame we don't have them in the newspapers anymore.. so if your researching your family don't forget to check the newspapers as back in the day the newspapers wrote the most amazing stories about people and their lives.

1916 – May 22 – A fearful and fatal accident on Saturday befell a promising young Granville resident, in the person of Charles David Hume, through a gas explosion. The young man resided with his parents in Wolsely Street, Granville, and was 17 years of age. He had been employed as a clerk in the Railway Department, and was of an inventive turn of mind. The house in which he resided is on high blocks and underneath he and his brother (Donald William) had a model gasometer, constructed out of two ordinary oil drums. About half-past 9 o’clock on Saturday morning the deceased was working at this gasometer, when his mother and sister heard a severe explosion underneath the house. The mother sent her daughter to ascertain the cause and she returned with the information that an accident had befallen Charlie. The mother immediately proceeded to the scene and found her son unconscious and bleeding freely, his face being covered in blood. No one was with him at the time of the occurrence, and it cannot be said exactly how the explosion occurred. Dr Farmer and the Ambulance Brigade were communicated with and arrived with all despatch. The unfortunate young man was taken to St Mary’s Private Hospital, where he was attended to by Drs Le Garde and Farmer, but he never regained consciousness, and passed away about 2 o’clock. Dr Farmer gave a certificate that death was due to injuries to the head, fracture of the base of the skull, and cerebral concussion. The shocking occurrence aroused widespread sympathy for the suddenly bereaved family.
The body was taken to his parents’ residence at Granville, and the funeral will leave there at 10.30 this morning. His brother, Donald William, will arrive here from Newcastle by the early morning train. Messrs Kirk and Son have charge of the funeral arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment